Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Christopher Olson - Bherd Gallery Artist Raising Funds for LLS
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS), in conjunction with Team in Training participants, Christopher Olson and others, are seeking artists who are willing to donate all forms of art in all media to a silent auction. This event will be hosted at Sole Shoe Repair in Capital Hill on February 26 with 100% of the proceeds to be donated to LLS!
Chris, his wife Kathy and friend Fred Kingston are training to participate in the Lavaman Triathlon as members of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training. They train 6 days a week and in March they’ll swim 1 mile, bike 26.2 miles and run 6.3 miles in an effort to raise awareness and funds to help fight blood cancers. Together they've committed to raise $18,000 to help LLS fund research and patient care. They’ve each been deeply affected by the disease personally and can testify to the importance of this cause. Chris lost his grandfather to the disease and the art auction was his idea as a way to use his talents to raise money and awareness so that other families don’t lose loved ones to blood cancers.
To give you a little background on the cause - Team in Training is the endurance training program which benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). The need is critical:
- More than 823,000 Americans have leukemia, Hodgkin or non-Hodgkin lymphoma or myeloma.
- Every five minutes, someone new is diagnosed with blood cancer.
- Every 10 minutes, someone dies. Leukemia causes more deaths than any other cancer among children under the age of 20.
- Lymphomas are the most common blood cancers and incidence increases with age.
- The survival rate for myeloma is only 34 percent. Incidence is nearly twice as high among African Americans as for all other races.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 15th if you are interested in participating.
They'll need all items for the auction by SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH. Please call Kathy at 425-736-7694 or Chris at 206-633-1236 to coordinate delivery/pick-up of your donated item or if you have any questions. Thank you so much for donating your time and talents to such a wonderful cause!
Here are their fundraising pages in case you’d like more information on any of the three of them: