Artists: Attend a FREE interactive seminar to teach you how to protect your creative work, including a live copyright registration demonstration!
CoCA asked that we help them spread the word on this great seminar...
FREE seminar at Pravda Studios: December 16th, 2009 at 6pm.
When: Wed December 16th Doors at 6pm, seminar at 7pm
Where: Pravda Studios, 1406 10th Ave., Ste. 200, Seattle
Contact: Jim Anderson (206) 910-8140
Bring: Laptop and jpegs of a visual work of art for the interactive Copyright registration demonstration. Free WIFI included.
The American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) invites all artists and creative professionals to join us on Wednesday, December 16th at Pravda Studios for a FREE seminar discussing copyright law for those who need it most. Doors open at 6pm and the seminar starts at 7pm. Arrive early and network among Seattle’s creative community while enjoying a bounty of delicious appetizers and beverages.
After the social/networking hour four intellectual property lawyers will speak to the audience in a discussion format. This format, using plain English, is designed to cut through the legalese and demystify the steps you can take to better protect your work. These steps are applicable to many artistic disciplines. Our panel of experts will offer practical advice to protect your creative property, your livelihood, and your time and money. Q and A follows each discussion.
At the end of the seminar, follow along as our experts project an online demonstration, walking you through the steps to actually file a copyright registration. Our panel of experts will be on hand to help answer questions.
• “Embedded metadata as copyright information”Using the “Plus” standard.
• “Hitting them where it hurts”Using the DMCA to get a response to your ‘Cease & Desist’ letters.
• “Creating a good photography license”Writing licensing agreements that incorporate specific rights covered by Copyright law.
• “Practical steps in protecting your work”Discussion of: registering, including visual mark, embedding info in metadata, and staying vigilant with your contracts.
• “Filing a copyright walkthrough”Attorneys will be available to assist with actual filing of copyrights.
• “Copyright 101”Basics for all Photographers and Artists
• “Fair use basics”When should you be concerned about your photo/artwork violating another’s copyright? When should you consider legal action if someone else is using your image?
• John E. Grant. John E. Grant is the founder and principal attorney for Imua Legal Advisors. John focuses his practice on copyright law, Internet law, and general business law.
• Joleen Hughes. Recently named one of the top 100 Women in Tech by TechFlash, Joleen has over 12 years of experience representing a diverse range of clients.
• Nicholas Mitchell. Is a senior associate for the Hughes Media Law Group, which focuses on intellectual property disciplines including strategic business development, video and casual gaming, drafting and negotiating online services, media development and marketing agreements.
• Todd Alberstone is a Technology and New Media lawyer with over 22 years experience, ten years as Assoc. General Counsel at RealNetworks, Inc., and Chief Privacy Officer since 2005.